IntroductionThe Cardiovascular Research group is composed by physicians with academic and research interests in the field of cardiovascular diseases. They come from different clinical departments from Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Porto (CHUP), but share the common belief that clinical research is the foundation of excellence in clinical care and the beacon for translational and basic research. The research activity of Cardiovascular Research group is dedicated to four topics: pulmonary vascular disease, heart failure, cardiomyopathies and peripheral artery disease. It has established several national (FMUP – Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto; Departamento de de Bioquímica e Instituto de Biomedicina da Universidade de Aveiro) and international research collaborations (Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School – United Kingdom; Paris-Sud University – France; Barts Heart Centre – United Kingdom). The Cardiovascular Research group aims to promote clinical research on the previously described specific research topics and to contribute to education of medical students and junior clinical fellows on the scientific and clinical research methodology.
AimsThe aim of the Cardiovascular Research group is to promote cardiovascular research in pulmonary vascular disease, heart failure, cardiomyopathies and peripheral artery disease.
- Santos M, Opotowsky AR, Shah AM, Tracy J, Waxman AB, Systrom DM. Central cardiac limit to aerobic capacity in patients with exertional pulmonary venous hypertension: implications for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Circ Heart Fail. 2015 Mar;8(2):278-85. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.114.001551
- Reis A, Santos M, Vicente M, Furtado I, Cruz C, Melo A, Carvalho L, Gonçalves F, Sá-Couto P, Almeida L. Health-related quality of life in pulmonary hypertension and its clinical correlates: a cross-sectional study. Biomed Res Int. 2018 Mar 19; 2018:3924517. doi: 10.1155/2018/3924517
- Marques I, Abreu S, Bertão MV, Ferreira B, Ramos RL, Lopes J, Nunes S, Mendonça D, Teixeira L. Characteristics and outcomes of heart failure hospitalization before implementation of a heart failure clinic: the PRECIC study. Rev Port Cardiol 2017 Jun;36(6):431-438. doi: 10.1016/j.repce.2016.10.021
- Rodrigues P, Santos-Ribeiro S, Teodoro T, Veloso-Gomes F, Leal I, Reis JP, Goff DC, Gonçalves A, Lima JAC. Association between alcohol intake and cardiac remodeling. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 72:1452-1462. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.07.050
- Bragança B, Trêpa M, Santos R, Silveira I, Fontes-Oliveira M, Sousa MJ, Reis H, Torres S, Santos M. Echocardiographic assessment of right ventriculo-arterial coupling: clinical correlates and prognostic impact in heart failure patients undergoing cardiac resynchronization therapy. J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2020 Apr;28(2):109-120. doi: 10.4250/jcvi.2019.0094